Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Amazing Race- Italy and France
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
kevin + martina
Rio de Janeiro
Eseential Guide to the Nation
Offical Language: Portugese, Italian.
Other Languages: Portuguese, Italian, and other European Ancestry.
Religion: Roman Catholic, with protestant and spirtist minorities.
Population: 2000 year, 14.4 million population. Small percentages of Asians and Amerindians.
Geography: Located on the Atlantic Ocean, in the southeastern part of the tropical zone of South America, and is widely recognized as one of the world's most beautiful and interesting urban centres.
Cites and Situation: Urbanized and densely populated areas in Brazil. Continues to be the preeminent icon of Brazil in the world, in reality its location, architecture, inhabitants, and lifestyle make it highly unique compared with other city.
Other nations surrounded Rio de Janeiro: Suriname, Guyana, Venezuela, Columbia, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay.
The Essential Guide to the City
Museu Villa - Lobos ( art of indigenuous people)
World class museums. Eg. Museu da imagem e do som - find photos, recordings, cinema (vintage films)
Espaso cultural da marinha - underwater archaeology, WWII submarine.
Barreado: This is a mixture of meat and stew, it's cooked for 24 hours and served with banana and farofa.
Caruru: This is an African dish that is made from ladies fingers, onions, shrimp, peppers and oil.
Cozido: A brazilian stew made from potatoes, carrots, and vegetables.
Alcoholic drinks: Draught beer (Chopp)
Local beer (Cachaca)
National drinks: caipirinha, a mixture of sugar, crushed ice and lime.
Soft drinks: Tea, Try cha mate, green in colour and is considered as herbal tea.
Vitamina, most famous local fruit juice that's made from milk.
Suco de maracuja (Passion Fruit)
Guarana, best local soft drink, which is made from Amazonian berries.
Traditional Brazilian clothing is influenced by a combination of different races and immigrants from all over the wolrd.
Bossa nova, samba, ballet, opera, classical music.
Maracana stadium ( Football kingdom)
Police do not enforce drinking while driving.
Cross streets carefully in evening.
Don't get shoeshine.
Taxi ( Late nights/sunday/holiday costs more)
Bus ( Saves money, takes more time)
Metro (Clean, inexpensive, limited location range)
5/5/10 Depart from Toronto: ($2020 CAD/2 persons)
Delta Air Lines
Departs: 2010/05/05 at 12:30pm
Arrives: 2010/05/05 at 2:52pm
Departs: 2010/05/05 at 9:45pm
Arrives: 2010/05/06 at 8:25am
Rio De Janeiro(GIG)
Accommodation at Copacabana Praia Hotel: $ 1090 CAD for 6 nights
Day 1 5/6/10
8:25am ~ 9:25am
- Arrive at the Rio De Janeiro Airport and take metro to check into the Copacabana Praia Hotel. ($3 CAD/ 2 persons)
- Enjoy breakfast buffet at the hotel then take a few meters walk to the Copacabana Beach.
- Diving/Surfing at the Copacabana Beach (Diving + Surfing equipments rentals for 3 hours: $220 CAD/ 2 persons)
- Eat lunch and relax at the local Copacabana Beach bars (
beer, called a chopp, and snack called a refeicao, or coconut water called Agua de Coco and many other choices.) (Approximately $200 CAD)
- Enjoy dinner at the local beach bars, watch shows in the bars (Approximately $200 CAD)
Take a walk back to the Copacabana Praia Hotel.
Day 2 5/7/10
-Enjoy breakfast buffet at the hotel
Walk to the nearest metro station near hotel then take metro to the sugarloaf mountain($3 CAD)
- Hike up to the sugarloaf mountain, see breathtaking views (take pretty pictures) then take cable car down ($20 CAD/ 2 persons)
- Have lunch at the Confeitaria Colombo Restaurant, just near the Praia Vermelha (Red Beach) (Approximately $100 CAD)
- Walk to the Praia Vermelha (Red Beach), just near the bottom of Sugar Loaf and watch beautiful scenery (Sunset)
- Spend a few hours relaxing at the Red Beach then take metro back to the Hotel for dinner (Metro ticket for 2: $3 CAD)
-Spend dinner time in the Copacabana Praia Hotel’s Restaurant (Approximately $200CAD)
Walk to the nearby Copacabana Beach Club (Fastfofox Club or 94Beat Club) and enjoy it with your another half : ) ! ($400CAD)
pmAfterwards, walk back to the hotel and enjoy your night!
Day 3 Free Day 5/8/10
Slept in because came back to the hotel too late yesterday
- Enjoy Brunch at the Hotel ($ 300 CAD)
- Enjoy sun tanning at the hotel’s swimming pool+ swimming
– Afternoon Tea with fiancée ($ 200 CAD)
– Play pool in the hotel
– walk to the mall that’s near the hotel to enjoy dinner, watch a movie and shop! (Ipanema 2000)
– Walk back to hotel and prepare for tomorrow’s early tour.
Day 4 5/9/10 (Tijuca Rainforest Jeep and Hiking Tour $116 CAD)
- Enjoy breakfast buffet at the hotel
- Buy Lunch (Sandwiches, bagels) from the Hotel’s Convenience store ($ 40 CAD)
- Enter the Tijuca Rain Forest in an open Jeep, pass by the Cachoeira dos macacos (Monkeys Waterfall) take pictures while the tour guides explain the history of the reforestation process of that forest and the importance of the Mata Atlântica (Atlantic Forest) , also pass by the Mesa do Imperador (Emperor's Table), Cascatinha (Taunay's Waterfall), and Capela Mayrink (Mayrink Chapel).
- enjoy an approximate 1 hour hike through an easy trail. (see varieties of tropical fruits, trees, and animal life).
- Travel by the tour car back to the Hotel
- Take a rest in the hotel room then walk 5 minutes from the hotel to the Ipanema beach to watch sunset.
- Walk to the Brasileirinho Restaurant where it is just located 5 minutes walk from Ipanema Beach to enjoy fabulous dinner ($ 300CAD)
- After dinner, walk along the beach and to a Brazilian art store, Brasil & Cia to learn Brazil’s art and culture. ($200 CAD)
- Walk back to the Hotel and enjoy a good night sleep.
Day 5 5/10/10
-Enjoy the breakfast buffet at the hotel
-Get ready and take bus to the Corcovado Mountain
- Enter the Corcovado Mountain (Entrance fee for 2: $50 CAD)
- Take the train to the top of Corcovado Mountain ($20 CAD)
- See the Breathtaking Christ the Redeemer, take pictures and enjoy the beautiful scenery, finish lunch on the sky restaurant ($ 80CAD)
Take the train back down to the Corcovado Mountain ($6 CAD)
-Take bus back to the Copacabana Praia Hotel and take an half hour rest ($6 CAD)
- Take a 20 minutes cab to the Barra da Tijuca Beach
- Rent bikes at the Barra da Tijuca Beach and ride along the streets (2 hour rental for two bikes: $60 CAD)
- Take 20 minutes cab back to the Hotel ($30 CAD)
- Dinner in the hotel restaurants ($300CAD)
- Walk to the nearest shopping center near the hotel and shop: Forum de Ipanema ($500 CAD)
- Walk back to the hotel afterwards.
Day 6 5/11/10
- Breakfast Buffet in hotel
- Walk to the Ipanema Beach beside the hotel, sun tanning activity, swimming and scuba diving. (Rentals for scuba Diving equipment 3 hrs: $180 CAD) + enjoying beers or snacks at the beach bars. ($ 200 CAD)
- Take metro to the Barra Shopping Centre ($ 3 CAD)
– Enjoy dinner, shopping or watch movies at the Barra Shopping Centre. ($ 800 CAD)
- Take metro back to the hotel. ($ 3 CAD)
Day 7 5/12/10
– Breakfast buffet in hotel
- start packing the luggage
– Swim at the hotel/ sauna/ pooling
– Take the metro to Rio Sul, where the traditional shopping takes place and start shopping. ($ 500 CAD)
- Take a walk to the beach beside, Botafogo Beach to watch sunset.
– Eat at a local beach bar beside the Botafogo Beach and watch dance shows in the beach bar. ($ 300CAD)
- Take metro back to the hotel and check out.
8:30pm~9:00pm**- Order for a hotel pickup to the airport. ($ 50 CAD)
Depart from Rio De Janeiro : ($ 2020 CAD/ 2 persons)
Delta Air Lines
Departs: 2010/05/12 at 9:00pm
Rio De Janeiro(GIG)
Arrives: 2010/05/13 at 6:00am
Delta Air Lines
Departs: 2010/05/13 at 7:43am
Arrives: 2010/05/13 at 9:58am
Map of Rio de Janeiro
Sugarloaf Mountain is a peak situated in Rio de Janeiro, at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean. Cable car runs along a 1400-metre route to the peak of the mountain. http://www.wayfaring.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/503185-sugar-loaf-mountain-rio-1.jpg
Tijuca Forest Is a mountainous hand-planted rainforest, and known as the world’s largest urban forest. The forest is home to hundreds of species of plants and wildlife, many threatened by extinction, found only in the Atlantic Rainforest. http://www.laboceano.coppe.ufrj.br/ittc2011/images/bxk8733_rio-cachoeira-floresta-tijuca-1800.jpg
This is a view of Ipanema Beach at night, Ipanema is a neighborhood located on the southern region of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, between Leblon and Arpoador. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Rio_v_23.jpg
This is the Ipanema Beach from airplane, the beach is adjacent to Copacabana beach, but it is distinct from its neighbor. It is relatively easy to navigate because the streets are aligned in a grid. Private infrastructure has created world-class restaurants, shops, and cafes. Ipanema is one of the most expensive places to live in Rio. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/Rio02.jpg/800px-Rio02.jpg
This is a view of Copacabana Beach, and the image is the Famous Portuguese pavement wave pattern. Copacabana is a borough located in the southern zone of the city Rio de Janeiro, known for its 4 km beach which is one of the most famous in the world. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/34/CopacabanaPavement.jpg/400px-CopacabanaPavement.jpg
This is the panoramic view of the Botafogo neighborhood and Sugarloaf Mountain. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/RIO_DE_JANEIRO.jpg/800px-RIO_DE_JANEIRO.jpg
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"